Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Message from Igor after his lunch

Hi All,

Okay, so where was I? Ah yes, I just finished my carrot cake with Tjerk and Algernon.
When we were making our way to the railway station, we met one of Tjerk's colleagues. He came up to us and started telling us how much he loved animals, especially guinea pigs. Algernon really liked him so he asked him if it was okay to take a picture with him.
Then it was time to go home; I promised Yaya I wouldn't stay away too long, and you guys know how she is.. *shudders*. The nice security man helped us to buy a train ticket (those train ticket machines are kinda high) and then we climbed into the train to Haarlem.
Tjerk decided to travel with us, his shift was finished and he needed to go home anyway. Algernon pressed his nose against the train window; he never saw a countryside that was so flat.
Tjerk explained that there used to be a large lake instead of a polder (the land on which Schiphol Airport is located). Since the lake was very shallow, it claimed many ships during storms (Schiphol translates to 'Ship hole'). So in 1852 the Dutch decided to reclaim the land. In 1916 the Dutch opened a military airbase and that was the beginning of Schiphol Airport.

When we arrived home I entered first to see what temper Yaya was in (I still haven't figured out where she hides that cane) and she did give me the evil eye, but once she saw Algernon she started fussing over him and trying to make him as comfortable as possible. Algernon was happy to see her again, but he was very tired, so he excused himself and I showed him the hammock. I'm happy to say that our little pirate immediately felt at home. He did take out his little seashell netbook and his Buckingham Palace magnet, but soon afterwards me and Yaya heard soft snoring coming out of the hammock.
The poor rat fell asleep with his seashell in his lap..
Sweet dreams Algernon!

Grtz
Igor (and Yaya)

No comments:

Post a Comment